Thursday, June 11, 2020

T003: Third Reich 42-45 - Mike (Allies) vs Ken (Axis)

Turn 003. 22 May 1942.

Eastern Front - Vyazma Salient


The Axis have pulled back enough where Rzhev isn't even on the map for this sector, so it's become the Vyazma Salient. I've tried to maintain control here, as Ken has been more aggressive since quickly pulling back on the first active turn. Armies to the north have been freed up to move around the flanks of the salient, and have played a critical role in stymieing the breakthrough in the west and pressure attacks in the east. This is starting to get the "meat grinder" feel now.

Eastern Front - Voronezh Sectors


Now that I've gotten a better understanding of where the offensive are aimed, I can shift troops from sectors that wont be pressured. The Nazis may have wanted to attack toward Yelets anyway, but that gigantic hole I allowed to open in my lines must have been too appealing. But as more armies are made available from both north and south of the gap, I can start to fill up the opening. And the remaining rear guard actions have slowed the Axis offensive just enough.

Eastern Front - Rostov Sectors


I'm taking a bit of a risk pulling forces from the Donets River line to reinforce the open defensive positions in the north. But it's critical that I slow any offensive toward Voronezh. The defenses of Rostov are stable, but no major attack has yet been made. Much of the Axis force directly in front of the city are Romanians. The only reinforcements this turn was an independent group from Moscow that was brought in as a backstop should I need reserves in the coming attack.

North Africa - Tobruk


The situation around Tobruk is concerning. It is most likely because I withdrew every unit back into the pocket too quickly. The one thing I didn't want, though, is the Axis to punch through a scattered defensive line and take this city in just a turn or two. Now, with the defenses consolidating and strengthening, I have a shot to drag this out until reinforcements arrive in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment