Thursday, June 18, 2020

T009: Third Reich 42-45 - Mike (Allies) vs Ken (Axis)

T009. July 3, 1942.

Eastern Front - Leningrad.



There is what feels like half the Wehrmacht outside Leningrad, trying to finish off the job. But it's still slow progress for him and more time for me. Even a raid by the Brandenburgers was temporarily repelled. Now that I've given up trying to relieve the city, I'm solidifying the defensive line along the Volkhov River. It'll remain on the thin side for now, as I've been forced to transfer the 2nd Shock Army to the south, for reasons you'll see in a moment...

Eastern Front - Rzhev.


The first major offensive has been launched on the Eastern Front, aiming to collapse the western bulge at the former Rzhev salient. There's no way I'm going to try to fight a pitched battle at this stage of the scenario. Mechanized units have been divided and spread across the front lines to screen the general retreat ordered from Lake Ilmen to south of Rzhev. Only a few divisions have had difficulty moving out from their positions, allowing me much more time to reorganize and set a new defensive line. It's also reducing the length of my line, freeing divisions for a reserve, or allowing a defense-in-depth. Of course all this could be a diversionary move for something else bigger. I'll know soon enough.

North Africa - El Alamein.


The Big One is shaping up here on the El Alamein battlefield. If Ken decides to attack, it'll be bloody and a slog for him. My line is two divisions deep, with much improved air cover, and naval support if things become desperate. Additionally, I'm not sure if he's seen them sailing around South Africa, but the two American divisions are one or two turns away from arriving at Suez. There's little chance I'm losing Egypt, which had happened in at least one previous game of this scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment