Sunday, June 21, 2020

T014: Third Reich 42-45 - Mike (Allies) vs Ken (Axis)

T014. August 7, 1942.

North Africa - Egypt.


The onslaught of raids continues behind my line at El Alamein, this time with an amphibious landing to capture Port Said. I've kept the Brandenburgers and Nazi glider troops out of Alexandria, but the left flank of the main line is still open and allowing the enemy to stream through. 


Counterattacks at Alexandria have now secured the city's perimeter, allowing me to divide the 1st Armored and 34th Infantry and send brigades to support the Commonwealth troops on the front line. I've pulled back the northern flank to consolidate forces. The 5th Indian Division shifted around to the southern flank, squeezing out the Italian armored unit. The 2nd Brigade of the 1st US Armored Division drove south to anchor the far left flank.

Eastern Front - Belomorsk.


Ken transferred much more here more quickly than I had hoped. So I'm chickening out and pulling back most of the 2nd Shock Army. The 39th Army arrived by train and will rest before taking up a position on the front line. I count at least 4 armored divisions, 2 mechanized (including 1 SS division), and assorted supporting units and Finn divisions. The Axis response here does give me an idea, however, and you'll see what that is at the bottom of this post.

Eastern Front - Karelia.


Even though I've cancelled a major offensive near Belomorsk, I'm continuing my threat against Kandalaksha. Adding to that operation, a hopefully-unseen landing on the upper peninsula and overland trek to cut the Axis line of supply for the operation against Murmansk.

Eastern Front - Leningrad. 


Back so soon... I'm not even going to name this operation yet. I don't want to get ahead of myself. So for now, it's just Operation 1942L. There would be three main objectives. The first would break through and cross the Volkhov River at three points. The South group would push west to Luga, stopping at the Luga River to protect from counterattacks from the south and west. The Center and North groups would follow parallel paths west across the river, then pivot north. The Center group would double as support for the North group and protection against counterattacks from Narva. North group, the largest, would attack directly toward Leningrad. The reach goal is to recapture the city, but at the least, this would force a break in the Axis line of supply from the rest of the Soviet Union to Finland. I have three Guards armies, a Shock army, and two more infantry armies to commit to this offensive. More might be added. I'll work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment