Monday, July 30, 2012

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T065: 7.30.43

T065: 7.30.43

Sector: Rzhev - OPERATION: GUILLOTINE
It seems the success of this operation is guaranteed at this point, with the two pincers of the offensive linked by a swath three hexes wide. Supply is flowing through both ends of the breakthrough, while the Germans at Rzhev will have to simply await their fate in captivity or a grave. I’m shipping in six artillery divisions that arrived last turn, for the sole purpose of blasting the Rzhev pocket into dust. Now that the Rzhev pocket is completely cut off from supply and reinforcement, I can concentrate all of the Guards armies on continuing the offensive southward toward Vyazma. I’m not going to push my luck too much here, as I don’t want to risk having much of my veteran elite units destroyed by overextending them just to take Vyazma for a turn or two, only to have a strong German counter offensive crush me. Plus, the shock runs out after this turn, so I won’t have the combat advantages I’ve enjoyed for all of this offensive so far, most significantly, the increased number of combat rounds.


Sector: Sicily - OPERATION: HUSKY
Much of the island will be under Allied control by the end of next turn, including the major ports of Palermo, Syracuse and Catania, the latter of which was captured this past turn by the 2nd Armored Division. I can’t stress this enough, but considering how this operation started, to have not lost a single unit to evaporation is a MAJOR accomplishment at this stage. And with so many replacements ready to go, the US 9th and 34th divisions are nearing full combat strength after losing almost 95 percent of its effective fighting force. Now begins the second stage of operations on Sicily, which is the tough road to Messina. Once the Italians capitulate in a few turns, it will be markedly easier to move on the final Sicilian objective. For now, clearing out the western third of the island is my primary focus, while harassing the Germans and Italians digging into the mountains. In a few turns, I’ll begin planning for the invasion of Sardenia and Corsica, likely led by the two Canadian corps available in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment