Sunday, June 21, 2020

T017: Third Reich 42-45 - Mike (Allies) vs Ken (Axis)

T017. August 28, 1942.

North Africa - Egypt. 



The whole situation in Egypt has been a clusterf*ck for about 5 turns now. And every time I think things start to settle down into a manageable situation, some new problems sprouts up. Ken is still landing some paratroopers behind my lines, this time to block the eastern approach to Cairo. My general retreat order with screening troops did help consolidate my lines, but I've made a critical error. For the last three turns, I've done everything to recapture Alexandria, thinking it was a supply point for the Allies. My assumption was that if I could recapture that city, the Allied troops occupying it would hold out with supply until reinforcements arrive. Now that I've realized my mistake, I have to get troops out of there quickly and moving toward Cairo, where I plan to make a last stand in the delta region. I can hold the marshes to the north with minimal troops.


It wasn't a terrible turn, but I'm still kicking myself for the Alexandria blunder. Most of the Commonwealth troops have shifted south and consolidated toward the main Axis armored push on the flank to Cairo. The 5th UK Division's arrival at Cairo is a needed boost to the defense of the city, but the 7. Flieger paratroopers blocking the road has forced the 5th to stop short of occupying Cairo. The III Corps headquarters has moved into the city, and if they're attacked, the 5th will be there to counterattack next turn. The United States forces are still around Alexandria, and I'm afraid they'll be lost if a line of retreat cannot be opened through the Nile Delta marshes.

Eastern Front - Leningrad
Operation Tuning Fork


The offensive has begun. Attacks in the north have been met with much stiffer resistance from the Nazis than the spearhead in the south. The southern attack broke through the enemy line, but clearing the road's northern flank could not be accomplished this turn. It's critical that the northern flank be secured so I can freely flow reinforcements across the river. I'll have to pull more reinforcements from the south to help with the breakthrough, as I fear I've underestimated the size of the force needed to make this offensive a success.

Eastern Front - Karelia South


Unless there's a large contingent of Axis reinforcements here that I cannot see, I'm confident this defense will be a success. The terrain has greatly aided the mission here, as the Nazi divisions are already running low on supplies in the heavy woods and isolated from their bases across the river. Losing the Soviet troops on the western bank is worth the sacrifice if I can hold here and seriously damage the Axis forces.

Eastern Front - Mumansk


Sending the Independent Groups up here to bolster the Murmansk defenses was key to pushing back the most recent Axis assault toward the city. But I'll need more to hold Murmansk, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment