Wednesday, June 24, 2020

T018: Third Reich 42-45 - Mike (Allies) vs Ken (Axis)

T018. 4 September 1942.

North Africa - Egypt. 



Even with the general retreat and the chaos that goes along with it, I'm surprised the Axis haven't been able to further exploiting the situation. It shows they're running on fumes. A new airborne landing was conducted near Suez, but they weren't able to reach the objective this turn.


The tide appears to be turning here. For the first time since the start of the scenario, I'm making proactive moves instead of just reacting to the Axis. Three new support units arrived in Cairo, but they are still immensely helpful in containing the Axis units behind the lines. The recon unit moved to Suez to secure that position, while the rest bolstered the defenses around Cairo. To the north, at least half of the 34th US Division will escape destruction, while half of the 1st US Armored is well within safe distance of the main line. With supply to the main army now secured, the Commonwealth units will gain strength quickly and should hold until enough reinforcements arrive in Egypt to counterattack.

Eastern Front - Leningrad
Operation Tuning Fork


Unless something changes quickly, this operation will have to be ended with minimal gains. In fairness, I should have expected it this early in the scenario. The Soviet troops are not nearly up to the task of conducting offensive operations without overwhelming numbers. Even if I could muster up a force big enough, it probably wouldn't be strong enough to go head-to-head with the Nazis. I transferred two armored corps and a cavalry corps from the south, as part of a last-ditch push to make something out of this. We'll see.

Eastern Front - Karelia South


Still not sure what the end game is supposed to be here for the Axis. I have more reinforcements to send here if my defenses start to falter. But with the depth and good supply, I should hold here with the forces available for at least a few turns.

Eastern Front - Murmansk


Now it just feels like I'm operating on stolen time in the extreme north. I've beaten back three attacks that came within a hex of Murmansk. I don't think I can hold off another one. And the Kriegsmarine is now blocking the approach into the bay, so there's no hope of reinforcing the defenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment