Friday, August 3, 2012

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T067: 8.13.43

T067: 8.13.43

Sector: Rzhev - OPERATION: GUILLOTINE
The German counterattacks have strengthened, coinciding with the end of my 110% shock. That’s caused a serious issue as my units are extremely tired. Compounding the issue further is the inability to keep the Rzhev pocket closed, allowing some units to escape through the corridor opened by German panzer divisions. In my last update, I indicated that if I couldn’t crush the Rzhev pocket, the offensive would be a failure. I’m still maintaining that stance on the operation. However, if there is a silver lining to what could end up being a gray cloud, it’s that the German army is not, in fact, invincible. German losses in this offensive have been severe, with most units losing between 40-80 percent of their fighting strength. Several more were outright destroyed. . So far in this scenario, the Eastern Front has been one setback after another. This changed things, hopefully for the rest of the war in Europe.

Sector: Sicily - OPERATION: HUSKY
The US V Corps is steadily pushing northward, with the British V Corps supporting the right flank along the road to Messina. In the west, the US II Corps is being relieved in its mission to clear out the remaining coastal defenses. The British I and II Corps are now on the island and will take over that operation from the US II Corps. Much of the German contingent is now moving off Sicily to the mainland, though I’ve tried my best to keep the “bridge” to Calabria closed with air power. The Italians are likely to capitulate soon, so I’m hesitant to make a serious push on Messina and risk losing too many more men.

No comments:

Post a Comment