Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T112: 6.24.44

T112: 6.24.44

Strategic Update
Plans for OVERLORD will be presented below. Otherwise, the overall situation is improving for my side. Though, it appears just a bit late to secure similar success as did the historical Allies. With only 50 or so turns remaining, the “All Fronts” strategy was implemented more than halfway through the scenario. If it were applied sooner, it might have helped turn the tide much sooner. Next time...

Normandy
Plans for OPERATION: OVERLORD
The theater options will be disbanded next turn, but here are the landing beaches and drop zones. There will be naval support for all the beaches, and much of the Allied air forces will be reassigned to interdiction duties. Airborne drops in three zones will consist of three divisions. The US 101st will secure the causeways through the wetlands. The British 2nd will hold the western flank of the beaches, while the 6th will be on the eastern flank. Hitting five beaches--as was the case in history--I’m going to lead with two armoured divisions and three infantry divisions. I’ve had to alter these plans slightly, as the US 2nd Armored will not be ready to go for the initial beach landings. It will have to be the 3rd Armored for the first wave, with the 2nd coming in the second wave. The British beaches will be hit by the veteran 15th and 51st Divisions, with the Guards Armored landing as the big punch here.

My initial objectives will be to get onto the beaches. It’s really as simple as that. Mark doesn’t have a ton of firepower in France right now, as he’s been forced to reassign many of his units to the Russian Front or Italy. But I’m not expecting this to be easy. He could very well bag at least one or two of the first wave divisions, even if they make it onto the beaches in tact.

Plans for OPERATION: SHINGLE
I’m planning a small operation in the form of an end-run up the Adriatic Coast, conducted by the British X Corps, which is an all-armoured corps. They will land at Pescara, cut off the German rail line, and move into a position to block the enemy from turning and displacing to the north. It should break open the situation in this part of Italy, which will go a long way to helping me free up some troops for the invasions of France.

North of Foggia, the Pols, British, Australians, New Zealanders, and South Africans are progressing north. It’s still a somewhat slow process, which is why I want to launch the end-run operation at Pescara.

Near Rome, the Canadians and Americans have secured much of the road to Campobasso, but can’t secure that knockout punch for the German divisions still fighting in the mountains. The US VI Corps will be joined by the II Corps at Anzio, in preparation for the invasion of southern France. The 28th Division and 4th Armored Division are both stationed on Corsica right now.

Stalingrad - OPERATION: URANUS
I’m having little trouble pushing back the Axis forces here, but I can’t actually break open their defensive lines. Up in the Smolensk sector, I’ve pulled out three mechanized armies, which I will send down to move URANUS along a little more quickly. I’ve been very close in this sector for some time now, but close isn’t good enough. I can’t wait any longer. It’s time to take Rostov, at any cost, or this scenario is already lost.

Karelia
I’m giving this one away, mostly because the forces left in the Karelian pockets are mere shells of what they once were only a few turns ago. There is no point in trying to save them with force. I will, however, keep advancing up from the Svir River, giving Mark something to keep in mind should he want to advance any farther. It seems his forces in this sector are totally gassed by this offensive, so another significant push here is unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment