Wednesday, February 6, 2013

TR 42-45 1.8 ALLIED T044

T044. 03.05.43

Strategic Outlook

I'm fully expecting things to heat up, now that the spring thaw is approaching. Mud season will likely throw a wrench into my plans for a few turns, but can easily be overcome with some planning. It also seems Mark is staging managed withdrawals at various points along the Eastern Front, concentrating in the south where he's most vulnerable and overextended.

Svir River
 The 2nd Shock Army unexpectedly shot across the river here, but I doubt I can develop it enough to hold a bridgehead into Finland. Controlling the rail line to the east will be critical to moving supplies here. If I can't, my units on the other side of the river will quickly fade away.

Yelets
Mark has some pretty strong reserves in this sector, but I have to keep pushing here because it's the only place along the main Eastern Front that isn't static. My main goal right now is to open up the hold a little more, allowing more units to funnel in and keep the main attack force fresh.

Central Caucasus
Before my flanking move could even get off the ground, Mark has begun his managed withdrawal to the north. As his forces fall back to the more secure position on the northern banks of the river, I'm keeping close and harassing him at all available opportunities. This doesn't preclude my original idea for moving around his western flank. It just complicates it a bit more, since I now have to move much more quickly to achieve any of the ambitious goals I had set for myself. The big one--trapping a few divisions and completely destabilizing his southern armies--may be gone before I could even attempt it.

North Africa - Mareth

Punching a hole in the Mareth Line was a huge development in North Africa. The "vice grip" can now begin to close tighter and more quickly, as the Americans and Canadians are once again on the move in Algeria. I'm hoping this breakthrough at Mareth can provide a window of opportunity for the strong British armored divisions to finally start the advance north to Tunis.

No comments:

Post a Comment